Sunday, April 28, 2013

Summer Reading.

I do this every year.
I make a list of books I want to read throughout the summer.
And most of the time, I don't even get through two of them.
But this time, I really want to change that.
So, I've compiled a list of 5 books.
Usually, I'm over-ambitious and choose like 10.
But 5 seems to be a bit more realistic.
So, I'm listing them on here to act as a reminder to me.
To read them.

And learn from them.
And enjoy them.

So here they are:



Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret by Dr. & Mrs. Howard Taylor
This is whom my son's middle name is inspired, so it is only right to know a little bit more about him. Brian read this book several months back and couldn't recommend it enough. And biographies are my favorite types of books to read, so this one should come easy. Key word: should.

Christ + City by Jon M. Dennis
We want to work in an urban center overseas. I wanted to mix my list up a bit and throw in some theology/practical application for church planting. Brian recently read this one too and recommended it (ah, the life of a seminary student). I thought I'd give it a try.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I read this book in high school and it was one of my all-time favorites. Plus, the movie is coming out in a few weeks, so I'd like to compare the two. Added to my list.

Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick & Jessica Thompson
I started reading this towards the end of my pregnancy, but I was too exhausted to get passed the first chapter. I've heard great things about it, so I definitely want to read it this summer to learn more about parenting and the Gospel.

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
I feel like this is going to be the most challenging book to get through, but I like a challenge. Sometimes. I needed to mix my list up a bit, so I went for this one. We'll see how it goes.

So, that's my list! Here's to attempt #7 at self-imposed Summer Reading. Maybe this year will be different!

No comments:

Post a Comment